|Art for the liturgy
|Rites and melodies
|Evidence of power
|Plan your visit |
The silk Venetian art is documented since 1098. In the eighteenth century the Napoleonic troops stole most of the ancient fabrics and burned all that was enriched by noble metals to be recycled.
In the Museum there is the chasuble that is the only one remaining
of a vestment in three, made up of two pluvials, dalmatic, tunicle, maniples
and humeral veil, donated to St. Mark's basilica by the Venetian Pietro
Ottoboni, who was Pope Alexander VIII from 1689 to 1691.
It is in embroidered silver cloth with a dense phytomorphic pattern in which various botanical species can be recognised. At centre bottom is the coat of arms of Pope Alexander VIII culminating in the papal tiara.
Merletto (a term of Venetian origin deriving from merli, or
battlements, the architectural elements at the top of elaborate Gothic palaces)
is created only with needle and thread, without the need for any cloth base.
The greatest virtuosity in this work was reached between the end of the seventeenth and the beginning of the eighteenth centuries. Pieces of lace embellish the garments worn for the liturgy with ruffle and cuffs, and hem the altar cloths.
Chasuble in embroidered silver cloth